Day Trip: Litchfield Beach to Charleston
Are you looking for a whirlwind day trip to the Holy City? Charleston boasts incredible culture, history, food, and fun! Whether you’re traveling with a tour group or flying solo, you’re sure to enjoy a Day Trip from Pawleys Island to Charleston. Browse our must-see itinerary, discover recommended tours, and have a blast in Charleston!
Before you leave Litchfield Beach, download our FREE Vacation Guide. You won’t want to miss out on the best places to eat, as well as the best things to do and see. Even better, our guide also contains info on the best accommodations in the area. Request the guide and see for yourself!
Traveling by Car
Pawleys Island to Charleston – 74 miles, 1 hr 35 mins
If you want to plan your own getaway, the drive to Charleston is shorter than you would think! Simply take Ocean Highway (US-17) for the entire route, and you’ll be in Chucktown before you know it. While you’re there, shop and dine along King St., grab a drink at a chic cocktail bar, and take in the sights and sounds of the city.
Hungry? Check out Rodney Scott’s Whole Hog BBQ. Nothing says “South Carolina” like BBQ, and Rodney Scott’s award-winning barbeque is like a warm southern hug after a long day. Nestled into the quiet corner of King St and Grove St, lies some of the best barbeques you’ll ever get your hands on.
View this post on Instagram
If you’re more of a seafood fan, stop by Leon’s Oyster Shop! This low country staple will surprise and delight with staples like Char-Grilled Oysters, Fish Fry, and the classic Chicken Sandwich. While you’re there, be sure to order their classic cocktails or one of their signature milkshakes (the “grasshopper” is our favorite)!
View this post on Instagram
Next, tour the Historic Charleston City Market! Your trip to Charleston isn’t complete without stopping by the Historic Charleston City Market. Here, local artisans have displayed the fruits of their labor since 1807! The City Market is the perfect place for an authentic souvenir or a little piece of Charleston to take home with you. The Market is open from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM daily and hosts entrepreneurs selling everything from hand-woven sweetgrass baskets to Civil War artifacts. The Market is the heart and soul of Charleston and offers visitors an opportunity to shop small while still checking off their Charleston Bucket List.
Bonus Tip: After browsing the Market, keep heading east on N Market Street to visit the Port of Charleston and Waterfront Park. There you’ll find fishing, harbor cruises, and the famous Pineapple Fountain– the perfect Charleston photo-op.
Traveling by Tour Bus
Charleston Harbor Tours – Myrtle Beach to Charleston Day Trip
If a guided tour is more your speed, check out Charleston Harbor Tours! It’s all the fun of a day trip without the effort of planning one. Browse the itinerary below:
- 7:00 AM: Depart Myrtle Beach for your approx. 2-hour ride down the coast to Charleston
- 8:30-9:00 AM: Restroom stop along the way
- 9:00-9:30 AM: Arrive in downtown Charleston
- 9:30-10:30 AM: Optional Palmetto Carriage Works Tour
- If you opt not to upgrade to the Carriage Tour, you will have extended shopping time in The Historic Market
- If you add the Carriage Tour upgrade, you’ll have time in the Market after the Carriage Tour as you make your way back to the bus
- 11:10-11:15 AM: return to the bus to be transported to Charleston Harbor Tours for a 90 minute live narrated, harbor of history tour with boxed lunch (snack bar and full bar available on board as well)
- 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM: Charleston Harbor Tour aboard the Carolina Belle
- 1:00 PM: return to bus for transport to Boone Hall Plantation
- 1:30 PM – 3:45 PM: Enjoy your time at Boone Hall Plantation. You can roam the grounds and gardens, take the plantation house tour, learn from the exhibits in the historic slave cabins, listen to the Gullah Theater presentation and stroll through the butterfly pavilion (seasonal).
- After Boone Hall, you will be transported back to the starting location in Myrtle Beach and arrive between 5:30-6:00 PM
Once your day trip from Pawleys Island to Charleston is over and you’ve returned to the Hammock Coast, you’ll need somewhere to stay! Whether you’re looking for a spacious vacation home for the whole family or a cozy condo for two, Dunes Beach Home Rentals has you covered. Browse our selection of Pawleys Island, SC, vacation rentals in North & South Litchfield, Inlet Point, and Litchfield By the Sea to find the perfect place for your stay.